Saturday, April 27, 2013

Aaji

I was 2 years or so old when i took my first trip from home to chennai with my parents and my granny (aaji) didnt accompany us. My mom says that i was inconsolable the entire journey and only quitened down in chennai when i saw another lady who looked just like aaji.
That was the kind of bond that i shared with her my entire life.
I wanted her when i was sick, when i wanted a good night story at night (which was every night), when i was scared to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and numerous other countless times.
She was a amazing person. Gentle but strong willed. Religious but not fanatic like many in her generation. Loved a good conversation and a good gossip as well. :-).
She was educated till the 4th std, but could read english by the time we were born. Being a staunch hindu brahmin, she still allowed mom to cook eggs for us. She always had a home remedy for all ailments and i so appreciated that when Ananya was born.
She led a beautiful life, saw her son and daughter lead fulfilling lifes. Saw her three grandchildren become successful and spend good time with her great grand daughter.
Since yesterday whenever i have closed my eyes to imaginer her face, i have seen a smiling aaji who is clapping with glee and getting enthralled with the antics of my daughter and realised that she had a smiling face most of the time.
She was 84 and survived breast cancer and did most of the house work till about a month before she passed.
Her house today is filled with people who have come to pay respects to a grand lady.. independent, sweet, egoistic, who spoke her mind, kind, considerate, emotional, loved to eat, had a sweet tooth, an innovative cook and someone whose 'sonamaaaaa' (private joke) i will miss like crazy.
Her son and daughter in law will miss her presence in the house for days to come and i am still thinking how to answer my daughter when she will ask 'where is choti aaji', but i will miss her sweet disposition and never die attitude and pray that i get to live such a fulfilling life and go with no regrets.
This sunday before Mothers Day, i will miss my 'amma', my 'aaji'... my other mother ! Love you Aaji. May you rest in peace.

1 comment:

  1. May she rest in peace. She will always smile & bless you from heaven.

    ReplyDelete